Another interview HERE with Jeff Bliss, it is a bit long, but it is very interesting. In it he says that the rant began when he was asking the "teacher" about the time limit on a test. She told him to "quit bitching," he said he snapped. I watched another video, I found the whole situation very interesting. The teacher went on paid leave after the video was put online.
How do teachers expect their students to get excited about their class if they do not put any effort in it? How do they expect their students to get excited about College?
When teachers act like that it makes the students feel, they do not matter. The best teachers I have had encourage their students to speak their mind. Going into the shoes of the teacher, she could have agreed with him but maybe did not want to lose the power of head of the class by saying he was right. In several of the videos, school officials say that he went about it in the wrong way, but his message got across did it not? Who knows if they would have listened to him if he went through the "right" way. The whole "right way/ wrong way" thing bothers me. What is the right way? Talking to the principal? The fact that the "right way" is so obscure in the school system shows us that something is wrong. There should be clear guidelines telling students where to report teachers.
I have had a similar situation in a science class in high school. The teacher just sat in the front of the class and did not do anything. He would assign a couple of problems for the class to do, but he gave no instruction. When I talked to the principal, she told me they were going to fire him, but I was stuck with him until the end of the year. I guess they couldn't get a substitute for that long of a time. When I looked back on it, it makes me sad and mad. I DID NOT learn a thing in that class. For the longest time, I hated science because I was scarred from that class. When I started taking science classes again, I realized how interesting it is. Look at me now, I am looking at science majors.
- Have any of you taken a class with a 'lazy' teacher?
- What makes a good teacher?
No comments:
Post a Comment