Black Moustache

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Lasers in Trasition



The Chabot College film made by it's students called Focus the Laser is about the types of students at College. The process that they go through. If you have never talked to any of the students at Chabot, this video is a good example of what they are like. What I liked about the video was that despite it having little narration, the point of the video still got across. 

The video profiles each type of community college student. As for me, I think I am a seeker. Although I felt like other profiles. Listening to these students, it is easy to see there is a lot stacked up against them. I think I am on the brink of becoming, what they call in the video, a laser. I think for me the transition is frightening, I am worried that I will mess up. To go back to when Samira said in the Passion video, "[...] I felt like I was fed to the wolves. I had no idea what was going on in the outside world." Transiting can be difficult, even if your transitioning into a better life.

I think a lot of the texts we were going over in class are about handling a transition. I would recommend reading my favorite book by Laura Lam called Pantomime. When we were reading all the novels for this class I was instantly reminded of it. I do not want to give away too many spoilers, but it deals with issues with controlling parents, sexuality, belonging, and overall growing up. I actually know the writer, she grew up in the Bay area. She lives in Scotland now and is writing amazing books.

Another reason I enjoyed the Focus the Lasers video is that it showed that it is alright where you are. What I mean is that it is okay whatever profile you are in, because things can change.   

No comments:

Post a Comment